Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Autumn


The breeze blows through the fallen leaves, rustling my hair. The slight chill of the wind sends shivers down my spine. Autumn seems to be whispering in my ear, alerting me of her arrival. A twig snaps under my foot. Then dead silence. There is a stillness in the air.

The oak's foliage is different shades of copper and gold; the maple's, a lovely crimson. Some leaves now litter the ground, spreading their light. A few float gently on the breeze. There is color in the air.

Creatures begin to store away food for the long winter to come. Chipmunks fill their cheeks with nuts and seeds. Their is a sense of urgency in the air. 

Children play in the leaves, laughing at the animals running to-and-fro. The crisp wind nips at their small noses, yet they continue to frolic. Giggles and shouts of joy echo through the forest. There is happiness in the air. 

4 comments:

E said...

Lovely paiting & lovely post Emily! I awarded you on my blog! You should go check it out! :)

~Em

Brooke said...

Nice painting and poem!

Emily said...

Thanks, Em and Brooke!

Kristin said...

Love the painting.I didn't know you are a poet.